Relocating your business to new premises can often be a time-consuming process fraught with difficulties. Maybe it’s not a job you have to do every day but, A2B Removals Sheffield carry out this type of work every week. Relocating businesses is something we’ve been doing for over 30 years, even during the global pandemic. As a moving business in Sheffield, we have pooled our experience and knowledge in office and business relocations to put together this checklist to help you, as a business owner or manager, whenever you are faced with the task of moving your business.
Here at the A2B Removals Company in Sheffield, our staff have decades of experience in planning and executing successful business and office moves. Our aim has always been to make our clients move easier whenever and wherever possible. Moving business premises or office locations can be daunting. There’s nothing easy in relocating equipment, machinery, stock, and staff. Proper planning and organization are needed to make sure that everything for the move goes without a hitch. Over the years, our clients have told us that they appreciate that A2B Removals Sheffield has always been on hand from the very start of the moving process to help coordinate the logistics of the upcoming relocation, ahead of time, and so preventing any unwanted mistakes from happening along the way.
We always say that a little planning goes a long way when moving business in Sheffield. Helping to minimize hiccups, frustrations, and above all business disruptions.
If you are a business owner or manager looking to move your office, shop, retail outlet, or factory now or in the future, this valuable checklist, put together by our experienced team can help to ensure the move goes smoothly and with as little stress as possible.
- Generally a small business, or office, should allow about three months to prepare for the relocation , medium size businesses up to six month and large companies allowing about 10 months for planning and executing the relocation.
- First, try to establish when is the best time for the move to take place. Would it be best at a quiet time for the business, or is the existing leasehold for the current or new premesis more of a deciding factor?
- Choose one person from your organization to keep track of all the logistics and contacts needed for the move, including the landlords, removal company, utilities, suppliers, contractors, as well as the key dates, and full up to date inventory lists. If needed pick a person to take care of these for each from each department. For example, a person for stock, one for equiptment, one for I.T. And so on.
- Work out what your moving budget will be. Add up all the associated costs for relocating everything to your new office, or premesis. This will include the movers, IT specialists, and new furniture. It is a good idea to get a fixed figure that you’re comfortable with and work from there. This amount will probably get revised as you get different quotes.
- Have a meeting with the key people in your organization. Review what is moving to the new premesis, and who is responsible for overseeing what during the move. Start palanning what needs to be purchaced for the new location, include everything from mugs for tea to desks, equitmant and furniture.
- Make sure that you have a full inventory of everything that needs to be moved, all things to be disposed of, and, if applicable, everything that needs to go into storage.
- With the moving company review the policies and procedures for relocating into your new premesis and out of your old one. Most buildings will have limited hours for parking and use of heavy goods vehicles for deliveries.
- Organise a meeting with your removal company so you can walk-through each stage of the move. This will make sure that they are aware of everything that needs to be relocated. Allow every department to voice any concerns and needs they have for the move, communicating directly with the moving company.
- Contact internet, telephone, and other service and utility providers, and schedule all the transfers and future installations at the new premesis.
- Check that all your businesses supplies, equiptment and furnishings have been ordered, and that the orders will be fulfilled intime for moving in.
- Contact your removal company and order any packing supplies that yiou will need. This will include things like corrogated boxes, crates, bubble-wrap, tape, and labels. Labelling all your boxes for the move obviously goes without saying.
- Relate to all your emplyees and office staff on when they will need to have their desks or workstations packed up and the procedure for doing so. Find out if any of your any employees will be on vacation or leave at the time of the move, and let them know how they should proceed on their return to the new business premesis.
Always bear in mind that when moving business in Sheffield, that everything will take longer than you think, and so plan with this in mind.